Why Do You Need a Workplace Health and Safety System Evaluation?
Government websites will give you an overview of what measures you’ll need.
They’ll also present you with the health and safety legislation, regulations and the codes of practice relevant to your location.
Now, you need to be familiar with these as they are the building blocks of your system.
What the government sites won’t tell you is how to manage all the parts that are required for the unique operations of your business.
The thing is, if a system or process is unmanageable, it’ll quickly lose its usefulness. It will turn into a time and money-wasting exercise.
Don’t sweat on the stuff you DON’T need, BUT…
Ensure the stuff you DO need is in place. For example;
- You’ll need health and safety policies. But, how do you communicate them to workers, keep them current and ensure they’re relevant to what they cover?
- Emergency procedures and equipment procedures will be required. How can they be accessed at any time by the people that need them?
- If you have workers? They’ll need training. How do you monitor training attendance, nofitfy workers when training is due and verify competency after training?
- Are assets (plant, machinery, equipment or tools) used? Have you got locations on your site that pose a risk e.g. workshops, chemical stores or fuel stores? Do you have workers that carry out jobs, or chemicals or hazardous goods? Do you have easily accessible registers for these resources. Can you link and synchronise the safety information required such as;
- Have you got a system to carry out safety audits?
- Are Safety Meetings held and a record of the details and worker attendance kept?
- Do you have a simple failsafe method of reporting Hazards and Incidents? Can reports, documents and other information be attached to every hazard and incident that occurs?
Define What You Need
So, the first and most important step to creating an effective health and safety system is to define what you need for your specific undertaking. After all, if you don’t know where you’re going how will you know when you get there?
Workplace health and safety is now a significant part of the business management process.
However, there’s so much health and safety legislation these days that it’s getting harder to KEEP IT’S MANAGEMENT SIMPLE.
So really, the only logical place to start planning or overhauling a system is to understand what you need!
Don’t be overwhelmed by the task of preparing, implementing, monitoring and reviewing the various parts of a health and safety system. Simple WorkSafe can help with that.
When you know exactly what you need, that’s a great start, and we can help you put the “nuts and bolts” of the system together.